The Rapid Transit System
Downtown Grand Rapids is the hub of the The Rapid, the public transit system serving greater Grand Rapids. With nearly 30 different routes regularly cycling through Central Station, Rapid buses generally can drop you within a comfortable walk of your destination across the metro area.
Bus stops are clearly marked throughout the city, and each stop provides the route number(s) and operating times for all buses serving that stop.
Transfers between routes are free - just ask the driver for a transfer ticket when you board and use the pass within two hours.
Operating Hours & Frequency
The Rapid system runs 359 days a year - shutting down for major holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
All buses run Monday - Friday between 6:30 AM and 6:30 PM. Several select routes begin running as early as 5:45 AM and run until midnight.
All routes generally offer service every 15 or 30 minutes until 6:30 PM. During off-peak hours most buses operate hourly.
Most routes operate on Saturday between 6:00 AM and 9:15 PM. Most routes run on Sundays between 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM.
All routes generally offer service every 30 or 60 minutes on weekends. Check real-time schedules to confirm your route.
Costs & Tickets
A single adult ride costs just $1.75 - and children under 42 inches ride free with a fare-paying adult.
Adults can save money by buying a 10-ride pass for $13.50 or unlimited passes good for 1-day ($3.50), 7-days ($16.00) and 31-days ($47.00). Student fares are slightly cheaper.
Two easy ways to buy tickets when you're out and about:
- On Board: Single fares, 10-ride cards, as well as 1-day and 7-day passes can be bought when you board. Cash only.
- At Ticket Vending Machines: TVMs are located at all Silver Line stations and Rapid Central Station. Single fares, 1-day, 7-day and 31-day passes are available. Cash, credit and debit only.
- Retail outlets. Farecards and tickets are available at Grand Rapids City Hall, Meijer, D&W and Family Fare stores.
Riders can also purchase all fare and ticket types online at the Rapid's virtual ticket box. Credit cards only.
System Map & Real-Time Schedules
- Rapid Connect, The Rapid's interactive system map, provides route and stop info, a trip planning tool and real-time bus info.
- The Rapid's mobile site enables you to view routes, nearest stops and real-time bus info on your phone.
- Google Maps offers directions to your destination by Rapid transit. Available for iPhone and Android.
- Moovit and Transit App are navigation tools that relays real-time bus tracking, nearby stop locations and other basic information for Grand Rapids and other cities. Both apps available for iPhone and Android. myStop Mobile is another option available for iPhone and Android.
Tips to Ride
- Choose the fare and level of service that fits right for you.
- First time? Check out these "How to Ride" tips to travel like a regular or just ask the driver.
- Got a bike? Check out this short video tutorial about how to load it on the bus. Bikes ride free.
- Rules of Conduct on the bus and at Central Station.